Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wayzata Organic Recycling Program ROCKS! (Why Can't Minneapolis Have This?)

Photo By John Hoff

This Thanksgiving, I visited a friend's family in Wayzata, Minnesota (Why-zet-ah) and, as we chatted politely about topics of mutual interest, I was drinking a Coca Cola (as usual) and asked if they recycled. (So I could properly dispose of my can)

And the answer was, like, DO we? Oh, we recycle EVERYTHING!

In fact, as it turns out, Wayzata recycles organic matter, which puts this city way ahead of Minneapolis...

Yes, Minneapolis turns YARD WASTE into compost, but Wayzata also composts kitchen waste.

I'm told recycling organic matter actually cuts the amount of true "garbage garbage" in half, so only one garbage can is required where, normally, one might need two. Furthermore, citizens of Wayzata can pick up free garden soil from the organic composting, woo hoo.

I have to wonder why Minneapolis doesn't have a program like this and when are we going to GET a program like this? If I were running for city council, some issues I might highlight would include recycling organics, phasing in biodegradable plastics made from corn starch polymer, and (of course) finding ways to drastically cut the amount of "non-consensual towing."

I'm just saying.

No comments: