Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Neighbors Are Better Than My Fences


























There is a saying about how "Good fences make good neighbors."

Let me tell you how it is in THIS case....


My neighbors are better than my fences. How could they NOT be?

There is nobody in the house on my south side, though rumor has it there will soon be "carefully screened" Section 8 renters. On the north side is a family of Hmong, very pleasant and nobody in the neighborhood has one bad thing to say. Their children are cute and would make good playmates for my 10-year-old son, I think.

However, they barely speak English. The son, named "Ki" (spelling unknown) seems to speak the most English. William, the guy who helps me with yard work swears he recently saw one of them kill a chicken by wringing its neck and then drink its blood. I have my doubts about this story, but I'm sure blood is very nutritious and drinking blood is quite acceptable in other cultures.

I'm also told the vines growing along the fence are grape vines, and the family values those vines and didn't want William to cut them away on their side of the fence.

Between the grape vines, the lack of English, and the fact they are renters instead of owners, dealing with replacing the fence will be quite a hassle!

No comments: