Sunday, February 24, 2008

Purchase of Penn Plymouth Shopping Center


This is the article the Minnesota Daily ran about the purchase of
Penn Plymouth Shopping Center.

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2008/02/19/72165646

Because I heard about the purchase from the news release, and
rushed down there that weekend, my opinion column actually
came out a day ahead of the news story. I later got an email
from "Tom Doubting" a.k.a. "Darwininsts Are Dumb" who
said my column had been discussed on a talk radio show.

Tom said he could tell it was my column and not some other
piece about the purchase because of "some things they
were saying." Apparently, the talk show thought the
purchase of the property was a waste of money and
showed the University had too much discretion, or
money, or...something.

I don't agree with that at all. I think the purchase of
Penn Plymouth was a good idea and will prove itself
in the long run. The only thing I wanted to urge about
the purchase was to avoid destroying the "Rev. Martin
Luther King, Jr" mural inside the old Lucille's
restaurant.

I'm actually very excited about the idea of buying
a house in that neighborhood near Penn Plymouth
because the area could be the site of a future "north
campus." I can hardly wait to see what comes of
the University's dream and I want to support the
University's effort...by, for example, standing
behind efforts to RID THE NORTH SIDE OF ALL
THE OPEN AIR DRUG MARKETS.

No comments: