Saturday, March 8, 2008

Stabbing Death on the North Side

One thing I realize I can do is just "aggregate information" about the North Side. So today I punched in a search on Google, and here's what turns up. Another murder.

_________________________________________________________________

A 34-year-old Minneapolis man was charged today in the city's sixth homicide of the year after he allegedly stabbed another man in a public housing high-rise on the North Side.


One man stabbed to death
Video

Opele Onyongo Oboya is in custody at the Hennepin County jail for second-degree murder. Oboya apparently called police shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday and told them that he stabbed another man who was trying to fight him.

When officers arrived to the Lowry Towers at 315 Lowry Av. N., they found Oboya on the 17th floor with blood on his hands and soon discovered a bloody knife in his bathroom sink, Sgt. Jesse Garcia, a police spokesman, said this afternoon.

Officers later found the body of Luanyo Alomo Duangi in a hall on the eighth floor. He was stabbed multiple times, according to a criminal complaint.

Bail was set at $500,000 for Oboya.

Several residents said today that the two men involved knew each other and they're asking the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority for additional security measures.

_________________________________________________________________

I found it interesting the story was published in Ethiopia, as well.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this has been asked on the other blog, but I will ask you again. Why would you want to live down there?????? Now a stabbing death, tomorrow most likely another shooting. Give it up man, you are crazy, your life could be in danger living in that area.

Johnny Northside said...

Last night I was in another part of the Twin Cities, and I saw three men breaking into--how shall I put it?--a little kiosk of sorts.

I called the cops and they were taken into custody. I'm sure one of the men will go down hard for it. It is--how shall I say?--a rich suburb, and they'll probably go to the effort to lift prints off the place where he tried to gain entry.

As the police took my statement, one of the suspects eyeballed me hard. It was a rush. My only regret? I broke eye contact and turned to speak to the officer next to me. I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have broken off the hostile staring contest.

That's my big regret. Otherwise seeing those suspects in custody was a good feeling.

I don't consider myself a tough person. I'd rather plant flowers, paint things, etc. My biggest "weapon," if you want to call it that, is a cell phone.

But I do have a sense of adventure that is very hard to quench, and my life reflects that. (I ran out and joined the army a month after the invasion of Kuwait...volunteered to go to South Korea during a crisis with the North, but orders were canceled...and etc)

Moving to the North Side will assure me of constant adventure. And plenty of places to plant flowers.