Saturday, December 13, 2008

JOHNNY NORTHSIDE BLOG EXCLUSIVE: World's Largest YWCA Planned For West Broadway

Flickr.com Photo

Some of the nice folks who are trying to revitalize West Broadway attended the HNC Executive Board meeting a few days ago, and discussed some details about an exciting plan to build (drum roll, please) THE WORLD'S LARGEST YWCA!!!!

According to...

...information presented at the meeting, here are some key features of the proposed development:

The plan has three main features: a parking ramp, a commercial building at 800 West Broadway, and a massive (world's largest) YWCA. Here is all the info, straight from a document passed out at the meeting:

1.) World's Largest YWCA

The YWCA entrance, the Police Safety Center entrance, and the ramp entrance are strategically placed to provide safe, direct, welcoming connections. The running track and fitness rooms have views to a green roof (!!!!) and Minneapolis skyline.

The YWCA building will match the set back of the new proposed 800 West Broadway setback. This will allow the addition of parallel parking to support the mixed use development without narrowing West Broadway. South facing pool activates the street with light via 2-story glass wall.

2.) 800 Building Commercial Development

The existing 800 West Broadway building will be renovated for retail and restaurant on the first level with outdoor dining along Aldrich and Broadway. Proposed office space on the second level will enjoy skyline views.

The 800 building's first structural bay will be removed to provide for a 28 foot, 6 inch wide street section with pedestrian and transit oriented streetscape to provide a safe environment.

3.) A Safe Parking Ramp

The parking ramp incorporates safety features such as direct connection to the YWCA, and a Police Safety Center adjacent to both pedestrian and vehicular entrances. (The word "direct connection" is really an understatement, however, since what I see on the drawing is a very cool SKYWAY)

All buildings will be designed to promote sustainability and energy efficiency.

The name of the development, apparently (based on what is written large across the top of the document) will be "Broadway Plaza."

I am told, informally, that one of the buildings was the site of a former car dealership, but I have yet to confirm that info. I'm pretty sure we're talking about one of the buildings where I photographed some "artistic boarding" in the past, click here.

The document passed out during the meeting features really lovely and visionary drawings of the planned facility which, unfortunately, I can't reproduce very well here but are, in a word, breathtaking. My efforts to search the internet to see who else may be writing about this proposed development tells me this project has been in the works for quite a while, with discussions happening at the city and neighborhood level, but without much fanfare.

Bring on the fanfare, I say. North Minneapolis is changing, positively, in leaps and bounds. I'm positive there are some houses for sale quite close to this planned facility on Aldrich, Bryant and Colfax Avenue North.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a boost for the local economy and the local housing market! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Great post, Johnny!

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, that building used to be a Ford/Mercury dealership. I don't know if my parents bought their car there, but I do remember us stopping by there to have the car serviced. More recently the building was a furniture store.

KCz

Anonymous said...

I live just three blocks from this planned facility and I am excited! Right now there are deals to be had all over the neighborhood. I'm sure that as people become aware of this development which will make W Broadway look more like the new E Lake, they will be snapping up these foreclosed houses and fixing them up to resell when our neighborhood becomes the center of Minneapolis' Urban Renaissance. Just West of this is one javascript:void(0)of the last old shopping streets of Minneapolis - with the row of retail along Broadway between Bryant and Fremont. We are poised to be the Minneapolis' freshest new neighborhood.

Johnny Northside said...

I've been saying it for a long time: Hawthorne Is Happening.

There was a vacant house on Bryant, close to Broadway and just days ago I saw the boards come off, brush get cleaned up in the yard. Somebody just landed a really good deal.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited for some of these long term plans. My wife and I see a lot of potential on the North Side. We have great neighbors and really like it here. I hope others start seeing the positive aspects and share in this great pocket of the City.