Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Drug Dealing In Front of 2939 Lyndale Ave. N.

Photo By John Hoff

While I was dealing with the two hookers on Lyndale Ave. N., I was forced to engage in some citizen activist multi-tasking. You see, the third time I went around the block, a drug dealer was standing in front of 2939 Lyndale Ave. N., boring his eyes into mine and jerking his head hard to tell me to come over...

I was too busy dealing with the hooker, so I decided to let him go for a bit. When I came back he was still there, still jerking his head. I didn't want to overload 911, and I noticed he was standing right in front of an orange "utility shut off notice" on the door, so I decided to deal with him kind of like a hooker.

"Is that your house?" I said, stopping at the intersection and yelling across the street. I kept my vehicle door open and was ready to get back inside, hastily. He actually answered me, defiantly saying "NO!"

I wasn't sure if he could hear me, but I began yelling something about calling the police, and how there was a utility shut off notice on the door, and he had no business being there, and how there was a "neighborhood watch" on this part of Lyndale Avenue North. He walked rapidly down the steps, turned to his right, and left.

Later, down the street, I saw him with two other companions, having an animated conversation. Something about being disrespected, I am sure.

Later, I got on the Minneapolis City Website, looked up the property, and called the holder of the current rental license. I left a message about possible drug dealing at 2939 Lyndale Avenue North. She called me back and left a message saying the lower unit was empty, but somebody was supposed to be moving into the upper unit in a week. She urged me to call police if I saw anybody hanging around on the front steps, because nobody was supposed to be there.

And she thanked me.

No comments: