Thursday, December 25, 2008

City Pages Gives Hawthorne Neighborhood Hurtful "Lutefisk Snub"

Photo By John Hoff, available on Flickr.com

As if crackheads stealing aluminum siding and copper pipes wasn't bad enough, now THIS!!!! A recent article in the City Pages weekly newspaper, click here, went into great detail about Olsen Fish Company producing lutefisk for lovers of lye-and-cod-based fish delicacies the world over, hooray, but somehow neglected to mention...

...that Olsen Fish Company is in the Hawthorne Neighborhood of North Minneapolis.

You know, my neighborhood doesn't always get good publicity, but I don't whine about it. I expect journalists to tell the truth, and if a negative event truthfully happened in the Hawthorne neighborhood, then it is informative and accurate and probably fair to mention the name of the neighborhood. Sure.

But how is it when something GOOD happens like (in this case) "the world's largest chunk of phlegm" our neighborhood doesn't get named?

This hurts, City Pages. This really hurts.

I'll be firing off an emailed letter-to-the-editor, but in case it isn't published...well, there, I've said my piece.

Except to add this: SUPPORT THE SPUNKY HAWTHORNE NEIGHBORHOOD IN ITS BRAVE STRUGGLE TO REVITALIZE!!!! EAT MORE LUTEFISK!!!

1 comment:

Jeff Skrenes said...

I come from what in Upper Michigan is known as a bi-racial family (mom's side is Finnish and dad's is Norwegian). Since moving to Hawthorne, I have made a habit of purchasing Olsen products for the family. My grandparents can't get enough of the herring, and my dad loves the lutefisk. I can't say I'm crazy about either, but if it supports the neighborhood and makes the family happy, everybody wins.