Thursday, December 25, 2008

Google Maps: This Is Not My North Minneapolis Neighborhood

Google Maps Image Forwarded
By "Way Cool 311 Jim" of Chicago


I really can't be too critical of Google Maps, because at least my neighborhood is included in their street-level images. I understand some obscure places on the planet don't have street-level images on Google Maps at all, and rumor has it the entire state of North Dakota just wasn't included until somebody in East Grand Forks, Minnesota pointed out the error years later. However...

My Hawthorne neighborhood in North Minneapolis has been changing so fast many Google Maps images are, in effect, a walk down memory lane. Boarded buildings have been demolished, or occupied, or are under renovation. Street corners where groups of aimless young men up-to-no-good would just hang around are now...less welcoming, and less occupied. This is especially true in the Eco-Village area, which has seen major demolition activity.

Earlier today, I was having a discussion with "Way Cool 311 Jim" in Chicago, and I was discussing a matter on Bryant Avenue North. At some point Jim referred to Google Maps, but when I looked at Google maps I realized...Bryant has changed. For example, the house in the foreground is no longer boarded and vacant. That house is now full of renters, who reportedly are decent enough and trouble nobody. A lot of other stuff about the street had changed, too.

So I'm making this heartfelt statement to the internet ether, hoping it gets picked up by those in a position to do something: Google, please re-photograph and re-map my Hawthorne neighborhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to a place on google maps where you can report problems with google streetview.

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=98014

Johnny Northside said...

That was helpful. I did go there and I reported the "walk down memory lane" issues.