Sunday, July 11, 2010

Low End Yard Decorating In North Minneapolis!

Photo, blog post by John Hoff

While I was out doing phone book and 311 patrol with my son Alex, we came across this rather unique instance of yard decoration. I had never seen anything like it before, which means one thing: out comes the camera.

Though I admire the creativity...

...which went into repurposing this scrap wood--I can't help but think there may have been some sentiment associated with the pieces--I believe the overall effect is spoiled by the chain link fence. Nothing is less classy than chain link, unless it would be a chain link fence laying on the ground, ripped apart and knocked down. (That's a 311 call, by the way)

Though I have one small chain link fence on my own property, I am looking forward to the day I get rid of it--placing it out back for the scrappers--and replace the fence with something classy and wooden.

As for the "contemporary punji stick" decoration...I admire the creativity which went into it, but I think it would only work with classy wood in the back, or (at the very least) a chain link fence COMPLETELY CONCEALED by ivy or grape leaf vines.

Also, I didn't see any indication these sticks were intended for something to grow upon, like bean vines...it's late in the year for that. Nor were they an enclosure or barrier to contain chickens or keep rabbits out, at least as far as I could tell. No, this appeared to be purely decorative.

Finally, I should also point out...it was my son, Alex, who noticed this. I almost walked right by.

No comments: