Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The End Of "The Jug"--Fare Thee Well, Jug Liquors




The small, crummy, depressing establishment known as "Jug Liquors" is gone, albeit the building itself still stands for the time being. The property was reportedly bought up by some kind of developer. I don't have those exact details, yet, but along with the announcement of the World's Largest YWCA, Hawthorne is hopping and happening along the West Broadway corridor.

Jug's was...

...near the intersection of Washington Ave. and West Broadway, just a rock's throw from "B.J.'s Strip Club," a depressing little den of iniquity so weary and worn it makes being bad look like not very much fun at all, so why bother? Go home to your family. There is church first thing in the morning. You will have more luck at pot luck.

The bottom picture is an interesting snow formation I observed, as a dirty snowbank melted then refroze beneath the Jug Liquors sign, now dark and dead. One resident of Hawthorne told me she entered Jug's just once and it felt like taking your life in your hands. The place was so small that booze-seeking customers were rubbing shoulders with each other. Some degree of contact was inevitable, and one can anticipate that, sometimes, tempers flared.

Fare thee well, Jug Liquors but, truthfully...you won't be missed. This is an establishment that served--how shall I put it?--the dregs of society.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always thought it was great that jug liquors sat right across the street from a topless bar. man i love the northside.

Anonymous said...

Is that a used condom in the snowbank?

Ed Kohler said...

That corner is notorious for panhandling. I wonder if the closing of this venue will have any impact on the cardboard sign brigade?

cfors said...

I just moved to the Northside -- Where is the new YWCA going to be located? One more question-- Would the average person be able go to Halek's Bar without any worries?

Johnny Northside said...

To the four commenters above, in order:

1.) Thanks for your comment. My innocence is forever shattered, my mind is seared.

2.) Thank you for helping me narrow down the true identity of JNS Reader...Jake, Gabe...

3.) Doubt it.

4.) Search my blog under YWCA and you'll find more information about that, including a great picture of what the facility will look like, in the idealized vision of some architect.

As for Helek's, I'm not sure. One doesn't hear much about that place, unlike--oh, my word--the 4th Street Saloon and Outdoor Shooting Range. Look, if you want a drink, go to Broadway Pizza. They have an excellent bar, and that's where plenty of decent people hang out. People who hear the name "Broadway Pizza" don't think of it as a bar, but you can get anything there.

The Bloody Marys are especially good, and quite preferable to--for example--seeing your own blood seeping warmly through your fingers because you looked at some thug's woman the wrong way.

Anonymous said...

also to cfors - good drink & atmosphere at Club Jager, Bunkers on Washington. Or Tooties on Lowry. I'd stay away from anything around Wash/Broadway/2nd St. vicinity.

Jeff Skrenes said...

Something tells me your innocence was shattered long ago, John. But in an attempt to restore it somewhat...we cannot discern simply from this photograph whether the condom was actually used, or simply discarded.

Somehow, I don't think that helped...

Johnny Northside said...

Oh, stop. That circular white-colored thing looks more like one of those plastic bottle cap liners than a condom. I took the picture, so I know the scale, and it's WAY TO SMALL to be a condom.

Can't we just think about how PRETTY the ice formation is?

Anonymous said...

I heard the guy that owned Jugs also owned some profitable business (I forget what) elsewhere and did the Jug thing in his spare time, like a hobby I guess. Apparently he was already very well off, which is why the beer he sold was much cheaper than anywhere else and panhandlers loved it. I think he was just getting old, so the party's over. BTW anyone remember the days when bikers and biker bars ruled the north side?