Thursday, April 1, 2010

Census Day 2010!



Post and photos by the Hawthorne Hawkman

Today is Census Day, the day when Census envelopes are hoped to be in the mail. Households that have not sent in the forms yet may receive a doorknocking visit from a Census employee. I waited until the last minute, but I did get mine in. On my way to the post office, I stopped at the Polish lady's house to check if she'd done her form yet (yes). She then showed off her first flowers that are blooming, in hopes of yet another wonderful garden this summer.

Also shown above, a Census poster at the Bangkok Market. It's especially important that underserved populations and those facing language barriers are encouraged to fill out the forms. You can also click here for a map that shows how we're doing in NoMi. Go to the "view participation rates" tab, enter a NoMi zip code and you'll see...

...that we're not doing too well. At the time of this post, the area mainly comprising the Victory neighborhood leads NoMi with a 60% response rate. But part of Jordan lags far behind at 36%. We can do better, and we need to do better for our community.

Oh, guess what is available for people who want them: Census 2010 YARD SIGNS! I'll post the contact info for the person distributing them once I get that confirmed. But I hear they look GREAT next to "We Watch, We Call."

4 comments:

MeganG. said...

Ummm, I just got a 2nd census form in the mail today. Even though I returned one about a week and half ago.

What do I do? Fill out the 2nd one? Or disregard/shred it?

Jeff Skrenes said...

I thought I remembered seeing something on the census questionnaire about whether one had already filled out the census. I got one in the mail today as well. My guess is that everyone they hadn't counted by a certain date got sent a new round that arrived today. I'd say you're okay tossing it, but I'll see what I can find out.

Toddinnmpls said...

I called the Census yesterday and they said not to fill out a second one and to dispose/schred it as you see fit

Anonymous said...

Or if you work for ACORN fill it out again and mail it in.