Monday, May 31, 2010

NoMi Artist Ken Farkash Has Opening At Sound Bar...

Photos and blog post by John Hoff

Ken Farkash, a well-known artist who picked up and completely transplanted himself to NoMi, and now has his tentacles in everything NoMi-related, had an art opening a couple nights ago at the Sound Bar.

I made a brief appearance, and it was pleasantly disconcerting to see works of art hanging on gallery walls which, prior to that, I had become accustomed to seeing just kinda kicking around within my circle of friends. Seeing the prices on the art, I started mentally reckoning up how much Farkash art I own myself, and where I could cash it in. I also can't help thinking I can spot some of the influences in Ken's life which inspired the art, such as his "Frog Boy" images.

However, if there's one thing to be said about Ken's art, it is this: His images are ACCESSIBLE to the viewer. It's easy to relate one of Ken's images to something in your own life, and imagine there is a connection.

Ken's art is going to be displayed at Sound Bar for a couple of months. Here are some more free samples...

Ken's art forms a backdrop to the Sound Bar's DJ.
I find this piece of Ken's art, above, oddly reminiscent of the cover of the second book I authored about dumpster diving, click here to compare.
More "Frog Boy," this one is my favorite.
This image of Ken's reminds me of the feeling so many little boys have about their classic "Big Wheel" trikes, and the central role it plays in their life. Viewing the image, I ask myself, "Who or what is a BIG WHEEL? Is a Big Wheel such a big deal in the great scheme of things? Is this image a commentary about how it is possible to be a big wheel on a small race track--like the big fish in a small pond? Or is it just a cool picture of a beloved icon of childhood?"

I hope Ken sells some art at the Sound Bar. But whether he does or not, it won't make much difference in the great scheme of things. Ken is determined to fill the world with his art, and nothing will stop him.

4 comments:

emma. said...

I'm just leaving a comment since no one has commented about Ken yet. He's pretty cool. I also enjoy his dog as well as the way Ken incorporates steel into one dimensional painting to create more depth. Very neat and something that I've always enjoyed and am happy to see more of. I personally add another dimension to paintings with string - so steel seems pretty impressive. Yay Ken. :)

Johnny Northside! said...

This art of yours...you produce it in NoMi? Could any of it be considered a commentary on NoMi events and/or personalities?

emma. said...

Yes - I do it in my house. Honestly I'm a bit distracted by house work as the previous owners were the least qualified "flippers" whoever existed - so I haven't don't too much recently. When I get back into the swing of things I expect it to include commentary on NoMi. Currently we'll call this home repair art and the commentary is on unqualified people trying to make some quick cash and failing miserably.

Anonymous said...

I am Kens aunt { his father was my brother} and his godmother and i cannot say enough fantastic things about our Ken.....He and His Art are exceptional!!!! Im so proud of him!!!