Monday, May 17, 2010

The Kind of Community We Have in NoMi


Post and photo by the Hawthorne Hawkman


Readers have probably noticed the lack of content on JNS over the past few days - perhaps the longest this blog has gone without a new blog post. John has been busy and last Wednesday my grandmother Edith Kallungi passed away. I have just returned back to town after being with my family for the last several days.

My grandmother was loved by many and will be missed by all who knew her. I'm sure I will be telling stories about her life and how she has been a part of mine for some time to come. At the funeral, the church was quite literally overflowing with friends and family who came to pay their respects and show their support. A bishop from Tanzania was in attendance, and grandma's family in Finland mourned with us too.

I've often said that NoMi, and Hawthorne, are quite similar to the small, rural towns in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I grew up. People know each other, look out for each other, lend a hand when they can, and a shoulder to cry on when that's needed too. The flowers above are an example of just that, because...

...they were given by people in the Hawthorne neighborhood when the news was heard about my grandmother. Knowing that people around me here were so supportive even without ever having met my grandmother truly did make her loss easier to bear. So thank you all.

And now, I have two requests. My first is that JNS readers NOT submit one-line comments saying only that they are sorry for my loss or something to that effect. Those will be appreciated greatly but not published, as the point of this post is not to garner more comments of that nature.

My second request is that JNS readers DO share similar stories. When have you been in need and had friends and other community members come to support you? Stories like that are the ones that show the true character of the neighborhood we're proud to call home. And those stories are what would make an 83-year-old farm wife who lived her life in a town too small to have a post office say that she knows exactly what we mean when we describe our community.


5 comments:

Johnny Northside said...

While I was out trucking, the city notified me that the non-operable vehicle in my backyard had to go. And, of course, the city was right. I'd hoped to fix it but too much was wrong with it, and it just wasn't worth fixing.

I learned of the notice about the car because Jordan super citizen Megan Goodmundson had been collecting my mail for me. I arranged with Tyrone Jaramillo to have him tow the car and sell it for junk. He gave me my cut of the scrap metal money when I came back, and towed that thing away on SUCH short notice. Between Megan and Tyrone, my neighbors were taking care of my interests when I wasn't there to defend them, putting forth considerable effort to aid me.

Thanks, neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Who puts a car in their back yard? Is there a couch in your front yard too?

la_vie_en_rose said...

Well, it wasn't this neighborhood, per say, but I was amazed at the amount of help we received from people after we were robbed last year. I know you hear all sorts of stories about small towns banding together to help out each other, but I'd never seen that in Indiana, so I was shocked to see it now. I've heard about "Minnesota Nice," and I know a lot of people rag on it, saying it's a bunch of bull, but certainly it has to exist to a certain degree. Otherwise, we would have been doomed.

Jeanie Hoholik said...

Sorry about your grandma, John.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for towing the car away!