Monday, May 24, 2010

Oh How I Love So Low!


Post and photo by the Hawthorne Hawkman

As I prepared to blog the night away, I knew I needed to grab something to eat to keep me full. I went over to So Low, and once again I was not disappointed. The place had the air conditioning on at full tilt, for one thing, making me almost forget it's 94 degrees out there. They sell ice cream drumsticks for a buck as well. And Bill Withers is on maximum rotation. And the staff, mostly people who appear to be in their 20s or younger, are always extraordinarily polite. They'll even take your bags out to the car if you have a full load.

One of the last times I was there, I picked up a rack of goat ribs for $10 and a duck for $12. Let's take a look at today's bounty...

...First up is the mango juice, which I bought as a backup drink since I was trying grass jelly juice for the first time. The grass jelly juice was...drinkable, I guess. That is, if you like the idea of tamarindo-flavored cough syrup that also has gelatinous chunks throughout. It's a good thing I bought the mango juice, is what I'm saying. I didn't make it through the whole can of grass jelly juice, but at least I tried something new.

Next up, canned mangosteens. Do you know how hard it is to find mangosteens? So Low has them on a regular basis. These were the highest-priced item, ringing in at a whopping $2.49.

For a mere 99 cents, I picked up a frozen pizza that was impressively good, and in case that won't be filling enough for all the night's festivities, another buck got me some rather delicious pasta.

The grand total, including the ice cream drummy not shown: $7.14. So when you see tonight's series of posts, you can thank not only the Hawthorne Hawkman and the Johnny Northside blog, but also So Low!


7 comments:

Ranty said...

Did you notice on the sign in the entryway that they now carry SNAIL MEAT?

And yesterday I got a jug of Kefir for 99 cents.

la_vie_en_rose said...

I haven't picked up any exotic meat yet (I've never cooked a duck, goat, or lamb before, but I will sometime soon), but I must say it's a lovely place to go to get stuff to throw on the grill for one (teriyaki chicken kabobs for a great price!), and two, I absolutely ADORE the Asian section. Not only do they have a lot of my favorite treats, they also have my favorite chili sauce way cheaper (and in bigger bottles) than Cub!

Also, the guava drink I had the other day was delicious.

Jeff Skrenes said...

Yes, I saw the snail meat! Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Anonymous said...

Does snail meat help with post dwi hangover?

emma. said...

a client of mine mentioned an amazing store in north minneapolis where they buy kefir for their son super cheap but she couldn't remember the name. she did mention the yellow bags with red writing so this must be it! thanks!! :)

Jeff Skrenes said...

They also currently have frog legs, which I haven't eaten since I was a kid.

crazy white lady said...

Mangosteen?This is one of the "hot" foods right now. Awesomeness!