Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spiffing Up The "Durian Fruit" Store On West Broadway

Photo by John Hoff
The obscure, hidden-away Asian market located on West Broadway (right next to Friedman's) recently spiffed up their exterior. This is the place where I managed to find DURIAN FRUIT, an infamously fragrant Asian fruit I'd been wanting to try ever since I heard about it, years ago...

This store is a quirky, hidden delight well worth checking out if you don't mind dealing with the drug dealers who enjoy that street corner, too. But they don't really go inside this store. In fact, hardly anybody goes inside this store. Operations involving the shipment of who-knows-what (fruit?) seems to be the focus of that business, and the store itself is a cluttered afterthought.


2 comments:

Kevin said...

Oh! This is the store you've been talking about! I've been shopping here for years. Although I love my Cub and they do have a decent selection of Asian ingredients, this is the place to go for things Cub doesn't carry like dried black mushrooms. I bought a big bag of the 'shrooms at this place for around $5 if I remember correctly.

The cans and bottles of stuff on the shelves are often thick with dust and you do have to check the expiration dates on things, but I still love digging around inside this store.

Anonymous said...

I thought this place was abandoned. LOL