Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dealing WIth Computer Stuff In A Neighborhood Organization, A VERY SPECIAL ILLUSTRATED BLOG POST!!!





Photos By John Hoff


A grassroots neighborhood organization like the Hawthorne Neighborhood Council doesn't use the most modern computer equipment and, furthermore, they don't have the money for a round-the-clock Information Technology geek to solve technical issues as they arise. So often...

Those who work in the office--and those who come by with frequency--are left to "geek around" on our own. We find technical solutions that may not be brilliant, may not be optimal, but somehow get the document printed or (in this case) the photo up on the website.

FOR REASONS I CAN'T FIGURE OUT, the computers at the office can download and save images off my blog, but when I try to send those same images as attachments...I just get a blank spot in the photo file, where the image should be when I save it. I've tried using Jeff's computer, thinking I could "geek around the problem" that way. Turns out, oh, yes, I can download the pictures all right...I just can't load 'em up on the website!!!

So I have a solution, and it's ugly, like wiring a muffler to a car with a clothes hanger is ugly, but it gets the job done: load the pictures to my blog. Then download them to the office computer which appears to work best with our website.

I hope that works.

So enjoy, enjoy, enjoy these generalized images which may, in another context, make good illustrations for topics. The struggle for a better neighborhood--an urban utopia, if you will--comes from moments like this, when you're frustrated and you want to throw up your hands, but you're NOT going to give up, because somebody else is depending on you.

I'll probably delete this post at some point, once I get the images where they need to go and, well, I may even switch images on this post if I have to keep using this crude (yet high tech!) solution to my computer issue.


1 comment:

JNS Reader said...

You could invite your readers to submit their own brief, fictional NoMi story about these seemingly unrelated photos!