Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Johnny Northside Location Update For "Spanky" Pete Rickmyer Includes Retirement Home Of Confederate President Jefferson Davis...

Photo and blog post by John Hoff

As I promised, during my R&R leave from Afghanistan I'm providing clues about my current location so Peter "Spanky Pete" Rickmyer can have a fair and square shot at serving me with his procedural poo-pile of pseudo-legal paperwork that he has been trying to slap upon me, lo, these many months.

Pictured above, over my son's right shoulder is...

..."Beauvoir," the final home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. For much better pictures of Beauvoir and information about historical tours, click here.

The house is located in Biloxi, Mississippi. Right at this moment I am only a short distance from Beauvoir in a cheap motel room. It is quite possibly the cheapest hotel on the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast and I received a military discount on top of that.

I told my son that if the police kick in the door on a drug raid, to just do what they say.

Like I said, it's a REALLY cheap motel.

Interesting fact learned about Jefferson Davis: after the fall of the Confederacy, one of his daughters ("Winnie") fell in love with a Yankee and wanted to marry him.

Jefferson Davis reluctantly agreed to the marriage but Winnie's mother still disapproved. Before the marriage could take place, word leaked of the wedding plans and the entire Deep South was SCANDALIZED. So much anger was directed at Winnie's father, Jefferson Davis, that Winnie broke off the engagement to save her father's reputation.

Some time after that, Winnie decided to take a long overseas vacation.

Somewhere in Egypt, she died of a fever.

And a broken heart.


No comments: