Monday, November 8, 2010

Decorative Sweet Potato Vines Produce Tasty Vegetables!

Photo and blog post by John Hoff

It seems like only yesterday but it was actually a year ago when I helped a friend in the Jordan Neighborhood with yard work, and we uprooted some decorative sweet potato vines. Tubers were growing beneath the vines and I was all, like, hey...

...if these are sweet potato vines, then aren't these tubers EDIBLE?

I took the tubers home, cooked 'em and ate 'em. Sure enough, they were delicious.

A couple of days ago, my girlfriend Megan Goodmundson did some yard work, and obtained more tubers from ornamental sweet potato vines. We cooked the potatoes and ate 'em with some leftover fish sauce from Banana Blossom Restaurant. Once again, they were delicious.

NoMi neighbors, as you tuck your yard in for winter, consider digging beneath your sweet potato vines for a delicious and oh-so-frugal fall treat.

1 comment:

Johnny Northside! said...

One comment rejected because I just don't like trolls and the little troll names they pick. In fact, I think we're going to start cracking down on trolls and their negativity around here.