Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Charles Wilson Ware, Charged In Bust Of Illegal Gambling House, Here Are Details About His Old Murder Conviction In The Death Of "Robert Cole"

MNDOC mugshot, therefore public domain,
blog post by John Hoff

The question left lingering after my previous blog post ("Who did Charles Wilson Ware kill?") has been answered by an anonymous commenter who performed a better internet search than this blogger. Wilson is accused of being a "security guard" at an illegal gambling house which police recently shut down at 2507 West Broadway. 

Wilson, who was on supervised release after a long stretch of incarceration for a murder in 1990, was convicted of killing his wife's nephew...

Here's what the appellate case, linked here, says about the murder:

(Wilson) was charged with second degree murder following the shooting death of Robert Cole, his wife's nephew, just before 10:47 p.m. on August 26, 1990. (...) Cole was shot to death in his car at an intersection just down the street from appellant's home. Two neighbors heard the fatal shots and witnessed events which occurred immediately prior to and after the shots. One of the witnesses, Daryl Cooper, viewed a line-up two days later on August 28th and immediately identified (Wilson).

Other testimony linked (Wilson) to the crime scene. Sometime between 10:00 and 10:30 p.m. on the evening of August 26th, (Wilson) took his niece, Crystal, to the nursing home across the street from his house to visit her mother who worked there. (Wilson) later went back to the nursing home to bring Crystal money to purchase a soda. He testified that he then got into his car, a 1981 silver grey Oldsmobile Cutlass, and drove to his girlfriend's home where he spent the night. While Crystal had testified at the previous trial in this matter that she saw appellant drive away, she repeatedly testified under oath at this trial that after appellant brought her money, he was going back home to change and that she then went back into the nursing home. She did not remember seeing him drive away.

(Wilson) spent the night away from home. He surrendered to law enforcement officials the next morning. He denied killing Robert Cole, testified on his own behalf at trial, and offered alibi testimony through his girlfriend.

The murder weapons was never found. However, appellant's wife testified that appellant had an antique gun and two other hand guns that he kept in brief cases. Only the antique gun was in his home when the police searched it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Just recently another guy named "Cole" was shot dead in our neighborhood. That would be James Henderson Cole, known on Facebook as "J Blockboy Cole." 

Ware is innocent until and unless proven guilty of the new charges associated with the raid on the gambling house. He remains in jail at this moment. 

No comments: