Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Desolation Row" South Of Farview Park

Photo By John Hoff

One of the movers and shakers in the Hawthorne Neighborhood, who shall not be named, calls this stretch of houses near Farview Park "Desolation Row." The name is an homage to a song by Bob Dylan.

To the left is the blue house where a young blonde woman tried to sell me a DeWalt power saw right on the sidewalk, back in early May of this year. At any time of day, little kids are running around just inside the porch door, not always appropriately dressed for the weather. The house on the right, the yellow one, was recently purchased by a landlord but a "CEASE WORK ORDER" was slapped up on the door, and I'm not sure what has happened since.

(Do not click "Read More")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I received your letter yesterday
About the time the doorknob broke
When you asked me how I was doing,
Was that some kind of joke?
All these people that you mention,
Yes I know them, they're quite lame.
I had to rearrange their faces
And give them all another name.
Right now, I can't read too good, Don't send me no more letters, no.
Not unless you mail them from
Desolation Row.

Johnny Northside said...

For anybody who didn't figure it out...those are some of the lyrics from Dylan's "Desolation Row."