Saturday, November 1, 2008

"Graffiti Abatement Bridge" In The Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood

Photo By John Hoff

I used to find parking near this pedestrian bridge in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood quite a bit, and I must have made about a dozen 311 calls over graffiti as well performing some "volunteer graffiti abatement" efforts. The bridge...

...soon had so many "paint over" squares that I dubbed it "Graffiti Abatement Bridge," like (the rock star formerly known as) Prince's "Graffiti Bridge."

Also, through a 311 call I managed to get a street sign placed at one end of the bridge, and I asked for one at the other end, too. The road curves around there, with no street sign, yet there is a constant need to call in graffiti, vandalized vehicles, drunk and disorderly conduct. A street sign is needed, so the location can be quickly and correctly determined.

Yeah, that's what I told the 311 operator. It seems to have worked. But I feel like if I don't visit "Graffiti Abatement Bridge" every couple weeks, the taggers will get too far ahead.

No comments: