Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Historic Block Houses In The Hawthorne Neighborhood





Photos By John Hoff

There are a number of "block houses" in Hawthorne, including Jeff's new apartment. I'm told that...

...the material for the blocks came from clay obtained near the Mississippi River, but I haven't confirmed that. It seems pretty plausible, though.

As you can see from the middle photo, some people get bad ideas in their head about slapping ugly additions on to historic block houses. It's not a perfect world. Sometimes bad things happen to good buildings.

Anderson Mitchell owns a house which is the wonder and glory of renovate blockhouses in the Hawthorne Neighborhood. I should get a picture of it some time. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they're scary looking.

Johnny Northside said...

I agree. But "scary historic."

Ranty said...

They're all right here, under "Hawthorne:"

http://tinyurl.com/6hg66w

Johnny Northside said...

Wow, I didn't know about those links. Those are great! Thanks.