Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Johnny Northside Social Network In Action (Jeff Gets A Third-Hand Bed With A Colorful History)

Photos By John Hoff

I introduced Jeff Skrenes to Connie Nompelis, who I met because of my blogging, but now I think Jeff probably knows Connie better than I do. Last week...

...Connie was trying to get rid of a bed at a house she owns. She listed the bed on Craigslist, but also fired off an email to the two most eligible (and relatively furniture-free) bachelors in Hawthorne, me and Jeff Skrenes.

So Jeff needed the bed, but he also needed my van ("Chick Magnet 2") to get it. We swung by the hardware store on Lowry to buy some twine, so we could tie the mattress to the roof. Connie told us she originally got the bed from Craigslist, so she was just casting it back upon the virtual waters, as it were. In fact, Connie said she gets all her furniture to "stage houses" from Craigslist.

"Stage houses?" I asked. I didn't know this piece of "real estate lingo." But I sort of figured it out on the fly. "Oh, you mean you put furniture in the house so people who might want to buy it can picture it with furniture!"

Exactly.

I thought maybe a few dirty diapers and some dishes in the sink might make the domestic illusion more realistic, but I refrained from saying anything...just then. This was when Connie blurted out, "I know it's a good bed, I got it from a couple of swingers."

Oh. Oh. Tell me more, I begged while me and Jeff worked on restraining the box spring with twine and creative knots. So Connie told me she'd found the bed on Craigslist, and the email address of the people who had it was--well, I'm not going to say the exact address, but it was something about a "cute couple" being locally available.

"What kind of stupid email address is that?" Connie asked her husband, who answered, "Oh, they must be swingers."

Connie was, like, NO WAY. But her worldly-wise husband Googled the email address and quickly turned up...well, PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.

So the bed has apparently been vigorously tested, and it was a good bed. It wasn't STAINED or anything like that. It just had a wild story to go with it. Life should be like that. We should be environmentalists obtaining FREE USED GOODS FROM OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, goods which come with their own INTERESTING LEGENDS. I've written about this in my two critically-acclaimed books on the subject of dumpster diving.

Hey, heaven knows a lot of our HOUSES come with layers of history and legend, the most recent often involving mortgage fraud.

Anyway, we tied the box spring to the van roof and I told Jeff, "Stick your hand out the window and keep it on the box spring. If it starts to shift, say 'PULL OVER.' Don't preface it or anything, just say 'PULL OVER.'"

"So," Jeff said, with a smirk. "We've got ourselves a SAFE WORD."

Yet another example of how the Johnny Northside blog is forming social networks, and encouraging the oh-so-green redistribution of material goods.

2 comments:

Ranty said...

LOLZ.

I just wish you hadn't snapped that pic as I was masticating a remnant halloween whopper(tm?).

But yeah, it's all about the recycling.

Speaking of which, there's a VERY beautiful (though dreadfully wet and distressed) antique item just sitting out in the elements, quite near Jeff's new digs. I spied it today and cursed not having driven my truck. Email me for the deets if you or he are interested in adopting it...

Johnny Northside said...

Jeff sent me this message via Facebook:

Funny story regarding the bed. I went to pick up some new sheets and bedspread stuff as the stuff I have isn't the right size. The nice folks at the store forgot to remove the anti-theft device. From the outside, it looked like a normal alarm-triggering thing. They did put a sticker on the stuff to prove I actually paid for it.

Well no alarm went off as I exited the store. When I got home, I noticed this. I thought it would be more fun to break one of these devices rather than drive all the way back and have them take it off.

Well, it turns out that this thing was one of those exploding ink packets and it got all over my brand new bedspread. The folks at the store were gracious enough to exchange the merchandise. But you could say I'm already playing too rough with the swinger's bed.