Thursday, October 22, 2009

West Broadway Development Tour




Guest post by the Hawthorne Hawkman, videos by the guy from youtube.

Unable to contain my excitement about KMOJ and Delisi's, I went looking around on youtube for more videos about what has been happening along West Broadway. I came across these gems, which show how much progress we've been making in NoMi (the new YWCA will be in Hawthorne, I'm proud to say!) and what great things are still to come.

I was going to write narratives with links, but it seemed that every time I said to myself, "Oh, I've got to link to a story about THIS," the video goes there next.

And one thing I do want to point out from the groundbreaking/dedication earlier today: There were quite a few people in hardhats and construction gear. I went up to them to shake their hand and tell them, "YOU are the ones REALLY making this happen!" I noticed that a lot of the workers were minorities, and I asked around about whether that was intentional and/or truly indicative of who is working on this project. I was told that The Ackerberg Group was indeed intentional about picking a contractor that would hire minorities and people from NoMi.

(Do not click "Read More," but do thank those who are bringing change and JOBS to our community!)

1 comment:

cfors said...

I work part time at the Midtown Y- in our last paycheck there was a little blurb that stated the YWCA is no longer going to be an anchor tenant in the proposed development on West Broadway! Did you hear anything about this?