Saturday, December 26, 2009

Great Deals at Rusty's Tires!


Guest post and photo by the Hawthorne Hawkman

During the first snow emergency of the season, I was driving around and checking out certain properties in Hawthorne. Somehow I managed to get stuck and need help getting pushed out of a mere two inches of snow. This was a MAJOR blow to my pride as a Yooper who KNOWS how to drive in this stuff. But it was also a wake-up call that I needed new tires.

My dilemma is that I drive an 11-year-old Malibu. It's a decent enough car but new tires were expected to be pricey. I went to one spot in NoMi and was quoted $411 for four tires. Granted, that's a bargain when weighed against certain death, but I needed something cheaper. So a good NoMi friend recommended Rusty's Tires on 26th and Broadway, and they charged...

$84 for two (they didn't have a full set on hand). Not only that, but the service was great, and they finished the job within fifteen minutes. I was floored at the price, courtesy, speed, and quality of the work here. Best of all, when I drove my car away, there was an actual correlation between what I did with the steering wheel and how the car moved on any kind of snow. I had kind of forgotten what that felt like.

Since my car was no longer a moving death trap, I was in such a good mood that I was reminded of fellow Yooper and former NoMi resident Jonathan Rundman's fun little jingle, "Bob's Tires." No video link exists just yet, but the words (I think) are:

Here at Bob's you're number one, number one, number one,
Here at Bob's you're number one; we will fix your tires.
We got white walls, blue walls, all at a reasonable price.
Our tires are the best around, they are very nice, Whoa!
Here at Bob's you're number one, number one, number one,
Here at Bob's you're number one; we will fix your tires.
We got white walls, blue walls, all the latest parts.
Our tires are the best around, they are better than Art's, Whoa!
Here at Bob's you're number one, number one, number one,
Here at Bob's you're number one; we will fix...your...tires.

No comments: