Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Recycle Bins Stolen From My Home, And For Three Blocks Around...

Cell phone photo by Nomistar, blog post by John Hoff

Word reaches me that my half dozen or so recycle bins were stolen within the last couple nights. The city was called to get replacement bins, and that's when I learned bins had been stolen from an area of about three blocks around my house on the 2200 block of Bryant Ave. N.

My theory is the bins are being used by meth heads for meth processing. I shared this theory on the "North Talk" Facebook page and one poster said it was more likely somebody was moving and so grabbed all the bins.

I don't think so. It's very easy and relatively risk free to grab cardboard boxes from store dumpsters. Why go to so much risk, stealing numerous recycle containers in an alley where anybody might see you and call the police? Somebody wanted a bunch of durable plastic bins VERY badly. My theory is STILL meth heads. The fact meth labs are often "out in the country" doesn't change my theory. It's not that far a drive from the Twin Cities until you are in relatively rural areas.

This incident has inspired me to write about an idea I've had for a while, a way of reducing crime in North Minneapolis by making better use of technology. I will get to it when I get to it.

Meanwhile I'm still in "scour the jail roster" mode.

5 comments:

Folwell Neighbor said...

I've often (jokingly) wondered: "How do you throw away a garbage can? How do you recycle a recycling bin?"
I guess now I have the answer...

I hope the city doesn't charge the residents for new bins. Obviously we all pay the cost through our utility bill, but I mean I hope they don't penalize the specific victims with charges.

I too doubt the bins were taken for moving. I guess maybe people that would steal bins don't think ahead very much, but my first thought was "yeah, but what the hell are they going to do with the bins after they move?"
I can't actually think of a good reason why they'd get stolen.
I don't know enough about meth to even have a clue as to why they'd need a bunch of bins.
That's a good segue to something else that makes me shake my head. Why do criminals break petty laws? I read the police reports, I don't even know how many times I've seen where people get arrested for having guns, drugs, whatever in their car. Why'd they get pulled over? No seatbelt, running a stop sign, speeding, stuff like that. If you were going to commit a felony, why would you put yourself at risk by doing something stupid like running a stop sign?
I guess I'm glad they are dumb, since then the police can get those people off the streets (at least for a few hours).

chouette harfang said...

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/05/24/authorities-stolen-cemetery-vases-possibly-found/

Your recycling containers, perhaps??

Johnny Northside! said...

Well, the link talks about how police responded to a report of "suspicious containers" and found the stolen vases.

Did the word "containers" refer to the vases themselves? That seems more likely than the possibility the vases were inside stolen recycle bins.

All the same, a fine example of "crackheads will steal anything."

jack said...

I've often (jokingly) wondered: "How do you throw away a garbage can? How do you recycle a recycling bin?"
I guess now I have the answer..
outdoor trash can

NoMi Passenger said...

^^^spam. Just sayin'.