Thursday, August 28, 2008

Diogenes Searched For An Honest Man (He Should Have Looked At Slumberland)


Diogenes The Cynic

This happened a few weeks ago, but I'm trying to catch up on my blogging before it's time to be "gone fishing" and get my fair share of abuse at the demonstrations for the Republican National Convention...

I was helping a person from Hawthorne--who shall remain nameless to protect their professional reputation--pick up some furniture at Slumberland. My 1984 Vandura van, a.k.a. "The Shaggin' Wagon," is pretty good for hauling cargo, especially couches on which make out sessions are plotted, contemplated and/or hoped for.

Anyway...so me and this anonymous person were at the Slumberland location near Little Canada, picking up a couch--which is just a really well-endowed love seat, if you think about it--when we needed to move around some cargo to accommodate the aforementioned Sofa Of Love. (SOL)

"Here, (Blank)," I said. "Hang on to my extremely valuable laptop computer." And I handed (Blank) my spanking new $1,200 iBook, in its black carrying case. (Which is recycled from my previous laptop, because I'm green that way)

We drove back with the couch and talked about all kinds of fun, trippy stuff and some serious topics, too...messy mortgages, of course, a favorite subject...and it wasn't really until late that night when I suddenly had a need for my laptop and I realized...it wasn't in my van. It wasn't ANYWHERE in my van, and I spent a while tearing stuff apart.

Yeah, so there was a lot of freaking out. And late at night it's not like you can call anybody, except the voice mail of the (unnamed) buddy to say, "Remember when I told you to hold my extremely valuable computer? Remember THAT MOMENT? Um, what did you do right after THAT?"

Set it down on the loading dock, as it turned out. But--praise God--a manager found it, took charge, and when both of us called Slumberland in the morning, it was waiting for us.

I thanked them, profusely. I asked to meet the manager and shake his hand. I promised to blog about it and include a link to their website, slumberland.com.

And though it took me a while, here I am, fulfilling my promise. I would have forgiven my friend, of course, but I'm really glad I don't live in that alternate universe where my laptop was never seen again.

So glad am I of the laptop's recovery that I composed a poem.

Ahem.

Diogenes the Cynic searched for an honest man/ Really, truly, he should have looked at Slumberland/ There's only one caveat to temper my joy/ Don't entrust your laptop to an "herban cowboy."

No comments: