Sunday, August 10, 2008

Little Pete, Age 6, Takes The Camera (Photo 2)


Peter Teachout, Jr., "Startled Dandelion."

At one point as I worked with the "eco-bricks," I looked around for Little Pete and saw him on the other side of the high backyard fence, walking toward the front lawn with (oh-my-god!) my digital camera in his hand.

"Pete!" I yelled, and ran over. I think I startled the lad. In fact I think this picture, above, was the result.

"Don't point the camera into the street," I told him. "The people who sell drugs at the house across the street will FREAK OUT."

He replied...

"I was just taking pictures of the flowers."

Interesting. The six-year-old already knew better than to point the camera into the street. He didn't question what I said, because he already knew this was the case. Pete has been a small witness to many conversations about drug activity in the street and what the results might be of trying to take pictures.

"Well," I said. "Don't go in the front yard with the camera, OK? Just stay by the side of the house and come right back when you're done with the flowers, OK?"

"OK," he said.

I have noticed Peter, Jr. has "oldest child face," more so than any oldest child I have met. (I'm the oldest child of an oldest child) Peter, Jr. is often seems serious, fretting about things, hoping he is living up to parental expectations. His own father, who is NOT an oldest child, seems genuinely happy-go-lucky.

When the Teachout family went on vacation and left me to house sit, Pete had a bunch of questions for his mom about guarding the house, and what could happen if somebody DIDN'T guard the house, and what exactly did guarding the house involve?

When the Teachout family returned from Wisconsin, who came running up to knock on the front door first? It was not Peter, Sr. but Peter, Jr.

"Hello, Pete," I said. "Your house is fine."

No comments: