Sunday, August 31, 2008

Opposing RNC 2008: Delegates Lost And Driving Around, Thanks To Bridge Construction


Photo by John Hoff

I can't help wanting to help folks who are lost, but I keep having to tell myself the town is FULL OF REPUBLICAN DELEGATES and maybe...

I shouldn't be my helpful self, so much. But when I was taking a break from biking to St. Paul (to check out the protest routes) and sitting at Arby's, re-using my shake cup to drink diet Cola (I paid for both beverages, explaining I was an environmental radical) some lady from Wyoming came into the restaurant, lost, and I just couldn't stop myself from helping her. She wanted to drive to Mall of America and shop.

I found myself slipping into bi-partisan mode, but only because she wasn't driving an SUV. An SUV will make me a partisan, every time. I was actually run down by an SUV on my bike, once.

Well, anyway, the nice lady from Wy-oh-ming didn't realize University Avenue becomes a one-way where it meets 4th Street, and she become lost and turned around. I told her to stay on Fourth and go down to where you can find the on-ramp for I-35. I actually had the map out I plan to use in the streets during the protests, showing the (quite probable) Wyoming delegate this stuff.

Once she got to that point, well, she should stop and get MORE instructions, I said. The problem was the bridge was out--it had collapsed, 13 people were killed, it was a big deal--and now everybody using University Avenue as a logical route to get to "35" had to figure out how to get around the bridge by driving into the West Bank and finding their way back to "35." What a mess!

Actually, I've been noticing this particular phenomenon for quite a while. A gas station I patronize frequently near the site of the bridge collapse has become amazingly adept and practiced at giving Mall of America directions. Everybody else has been inconvenienced, lost and mis-routed for more than a year, so why shouldn't it be true of the delegates, as well?

Is it any wonder Governor Pawlenty didn't get selected to become Vice President? Think about the value of infrastructure, Republican delegates, while you enjoy the no-tax-on-clothing at Mall of America. If you can find your way there.

No comments: