Saturday, August 16, 2008

What This House Could Be Tomorrow Versus What This House Is Today





























MLS Photos


Connie asked me to spread the word about 2123 6th St. N., currently listed at a mere $12,900. If I weren't trying to get something much closer to the eco-village and my friend Peter Teachout, I'd probably be jumping at this one.

Connie says to compare it with 4601 Camden Ave. N., currently listed at $295,000.

There are bargains like this all over the North Side. Unfortunately, the slumlords are the ones who have figured that out while the college-educated professionals are freaking out over shoes hanging on power lines and...well, OK, more than that. BUT THE POINT IS WE CAN TURN THIS WHOLE PLACE AROUND. Me and my neighborhood are proof of that. Each day I walk around, alive and well. Each day my neighborhood gets a little better through our constant and continued struggles.

(Do not click "Read More")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH!! One of our houses. How exciting! What the picture doesn't show is that this is a brick house. I've always loved it, but have no idea what condition it's like inside. It's been sitting vacant for more years than I can remember.

You know, I'm starting to see some small signs of hope down here. 2211 6th Street just underwent a really nice looking renovation. The crew even put down new sod in the yard. It's still going to be rental property, but NO ONE around here puts down new sod on a rental property. I hope that's some indication of who may eventually live here.

A couple of weeks ago while out talking to one of my neighbor, an absolutely delightful, young couple came over and introduced themselves. They had just moved here from Tennessee and had purchased one of our boarded properties as their future home. Another boarded house across the street has also supposedly been purchased as a future, owner occupied home.

There certainly are some good bargains around here. Now, just to get the properties into the right hands.

Ranty said...

Please note also that the MLS entry on that lovely brick house indicates that the city has cited it for DEMOLITION.

I find that insane. It's one of the sturdiest houses on the block.

I have been inside, and while it certainly needs work, it's in better shape than most of the condemned homes I've toured in that area. The most pressing need this house has right now is for a new roof.

Johnny Northside said...

Yes, well, that being the case it should be for sale at the current standard lot price...$4,500, approximately?

But I hope it doesn't get demolished. I hope somebody saves it and deals with the city about it.