Sunday, March 8, 2009

Construction Dumpsters Are Not Meant To Be Permanent Neighborhood Features



I'd never made a call like this to 311 before, but there's a first time for everything. Now, normally, dumpsters fill me with incredible enthusiasm: the refuse of civilization is carted off, but before that happens, um, you might find something GOOD amid the cast-offs.

But supersized demo debri dumpsters aren't supposed to be...

...PERMANENT ADDITIONS to the neighborhood. This particular dumpster on Lyndale Ave. N. was full to the brim and running over, and it had been that way for more than a month. But the dumpster just sat there. And sat there. This wasn't a matter of the dumpster being continuously filled with debris and emptied. The house was "trashed out" a couple months ago, but after the dumpster was filled up, nobody bothered to cart it off.

Would this happen out in EDINA? I don't think so.

So I called it in to 311. And then, for good measure, I made a call about the fact the address had no number affixed to one of the doors.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This may be a stupid question but why not just call the phone # on the dumpster. Don't they want their dumpster back?

Johnny Northside said...

I figured they'd gripe at me, put me in a maze of voice mail, never be able to figure out how their dumpster got to that address...easier to call 311.

Anonymous said...

I hope you were able to get your dive in before you made the call?