Sunday, August 3, 2008

Leaving The Light On At 420 31st Ave. N.


Photo by John Hoff

Something positive seems to be happening at 420 30th Ave. N., which used to be full of crack-addicted squatters. A work crew arrived recently and took out all the junk which had been boarded up inside.

Also, the porch light has been fixed and left on, making the area marginally safer. A notice on the door says who can be called for questions or concerns about the property.

When I was telling my real estate agent, Juley Viger, why I wanted to buy another home in the neighborhood, I actually cited this house as a reason. I told her I know my neighborhood so well that I notice something as minor as a newly-activated porch light. So I don't want to go somewhere else and learn the neighborhood all over again. I've moved enough--from one end of the country to another--and now this place will be my home. I will stop moving and dig in to make a difference.

Here, I know the territory. I have a colorful personal history with virtually every building and I know the crack dealers and prostitutes by name when I call 911. In the midst of a major metropolitan city, I can look and say, "Hey...I see a porch light on which wasn't on before. I better find out what is happening."

(Do not click "Read More")

No comments: