Monday, April 21, 2008

I Am A Legend In My Own Slime

(Photo from Minn Post)

Click here for the story about my neighborhood revitalization efforts in Minn Post Dot Com, complete with video. They caught some of my ad libs and my tendency to lapse into verbal parody.

Really, I don't deserve this kind of PR. I only hope it inspires people to start vigorously adopting houses and acting in a decisive way, instead of waiting around for permission to--good Lord!--board up the front door of an abandoned house when it has been kicked in by crack heads.

(Do not click "Read More")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed on the video (I only watched a little, and I don't have audio on my work computer), that the tower at Lowry/4th seems to loom over the neighborhood. What is your opinion on this building, part of the problem or part of the solution? Is it a factor in you neighborhood, or does it stand as its own entity?

Johnny Northside said...

I've got to say...I don't have an answer to that right now. But, clearly, the tower is not going away.

Some have told me the tower itself is not the problem. They've said it's full of "old folks" who are pretty quiet, though they love their booze.

The real issue--I was told--is the young people who hang out in the neighborhood because they come to see their grandmas in the tower, then they just hang around the neighborhood and do bad things.

But I honestly don't know. That's just what I'm told.

I like the tower. If I'm driving around, and I get a little lost, I can directionally orient myself by spotting the tower.