Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Securing "3019" (This Glass Is From My Buddy's Car)


(A photo from Flickr.com obtained by using the search term "3019.")

During my "morning security check," I figured it was finally time to board up the garage at 3019 6th Street N., just a few houses down from Peter and Joy.

The house sits next door to Scott, who sees people get in the garage all the time to, as he puts it, "smoke weed." (I have to wonder why anybody goes inside a building to "smoke weed" on the North Side, unless they have a thing about smoking weed naked while with a prostitute) But, in any case...

It was time to board it up. I fetched my board from the "House Of The Stolen Purse" because, as it turned out, the board to that particular door was laying right on the ground and it fit the house door perfectly, so better to use it. I carried back my other board, which actually had part of a door frame attached to it.

No, it wasn't going to be PRETTY. But I got it secured, and I hammered down some of the nails sticking out of the violated door frame fragments so nobody would come along and inure themselves. While I was there, a blond guy in his early 30s came along, with a whispy little "hipster beard."

He asked (in a friendly tone) if I was boarding up my own garage. I explained it wasn't my garage, but I was boarding it up because I tried to take care of the block, and the garage was unsecure, and people went inside to smoke weed and commit acts of prostitution. He immediately concurred, saying he had seen it, himself. He directed my attention to the large garage door, itself.

"This just opens up," he said, lifting up the door.

"Oh, (expletive)," I said. "And I just went and boarded the side door."

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if anybody who owns a vacant building on the North Side locks or secures ANYTHING. The city which tells us to "adopt" these buildings and talks about "litter" and "graffiti" appears to not understand how unsecured the buildings are, and how they should be talking, instead, about "boards" and "nails."

He suggested it would be possible to lock the garage door by "jamming a screw driver in the chain" on the pulley.

"You see this?" he said, kicking at some fragments of automotive glass on the ground. "This glass is from my buddy's car. They broke into his car while it was here."

"You live right over there?" I asked, and he nodded. He told me "the state" had been out a few days earlier and looked at the garage, noted it was unlocked and wide open.

"The state?" I asked. "You mean the city?"

Maybe it was the city, he agreed. But somebody had been out to look at the garage, somebody official. Yet, as I could see, there it sat...unlocked two different ways.

I tried to bite my tongue. I really tried. But perhaps I was having indigestion, and perhaps a little bit of acid boiled up from my stomach.

"If you live right there," I said. "And you see people going in there and trespassing, and your buddy's car gets broken into...why don't you do what I'm doing and board the damn thing up yourself?"

He shrugged. He didn't know. Was this what the city WANTED?

This is always happening to citizens. Decent citizens respect private property so much they are afraid to secure their neighbor's door, even when it is left wide open to thieves, for fear of touching a door they do not own, without explicit permission. But the so-called "owner" is probably some bank in California, which has never laid eyes on the house in question. And the City of Minneapolis has given a broad grant of authority to decent people...admittedly in need of more explicit direction, but a broad grant, none-the-less.

Adopt these houses. Watch out for these houses. Take care of these houses.

"I call 311 all the time," I said. "I actually called on this garage about a week ago. But usually I'm able to board the buildings up before they can, so I call and update the report and let 'em know. They've never said Oh, my goodness, stop boarding up buildings on your own. Rather, they seem glad I'm doing it."

He suggested a way to board the large garage door without ripping the boards off the side door to get inside. Nail some two-by-fours int he corner, to both the frame and the door itself. It wouldn't be too secure, but if somebody ripped off the boards, I'd notice it right away.

"And I'll just nail it up again," I said.

He went into a nearby garage and handed me a board. I found another board laying on the ground somewhere. I drove in the nails. At the end of the alley, a silver sports car just parked there and watched. I couldn't tell if the occupants of the sports car were glad, mad, or merely curious.

I said to myself, "The next time I see that man, I will introduce myself based on our previous dealings in scrap lumber, and I will talk to him more."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to pose this question to you, Johnny:

You have stated that you are trying to secure your own block. You want to let people know that it is safe for them to move to that block and that it will set the example for others nearby to do the same.

That is not only noble but, brave as well (considering the area).

My question is, if all of the above is true (which it appears you are doing)... Why are you already planning the sale of your house for $17,000?

Whether you realize it or not, you are positioning yourself to be the "big toe" of your block. I might suggest that without the "big toe" (after you make your money & away you go), your block would go back to getting its a** kicked.

Johnny Northside said...

You make a good point, but I'm several steps ahead of you...

Though I can't reveal all the details, for the next two months there is an "option to buy" which is not held by the would-be landlord who wants my property, but by somebody (shall we say?) more closely associated with the utopian eco-village planned for that block.

They can have it for the same price, plus one dollar more.

I try to do as much good as I can, but I'm no saint. The welfare of my little son comes first, and that means getting the best house I can get for him to visit me.

Therefore, I would not be able to turn my back on a quick profit. However, it looks like I may not be in that position if the "white hat" buyer comes through before the "black hat" buyer, and I've given the "white hat" buyer a full two months to line up their ducks...

Because ducks can take a while to line up.

So it looks like my house won't be any kind of "big toe." But I'm going to have to look that up ("big toe?" and see what that means.

My house is the smallest house on the block, literally. It's the smallest house on all the facing streets, too, even considering the small house at "420 31st."

A big toe, it aint! But like I told the "white hat" would-be buyer today, "Every house helps."

If the other property owners on the block were half as good as me--even in my conflicted and imperfect state--the neighborhood association wouldn't have to struggle so hard to bring about such a positive vision.

Johnny Northside said...

The previous poster left a comment clarifying the meaning of "big toe." Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted the comment, so I'll just have to reconstruct and reply.

(Sorry, still learning some of the technical details of blogging)

The "big toe" idea was somebody needed to stay around on the block to "kick ass" and if I leave, then anybody who moves into the block would not have the "big toe" around to "kick ass."

My response: I'm not kicking anybody's ass. I'm boarding up windows and doors. If the block is secure and people move in, there won't be any need to board up windows because those houses will be occupied, therefore not as much need for any "big toe."

As discussed in my article "Good luck with that" in the Minnesota Daily, "security-minded" people are only the "first wave." When the area is secure, and other folks move in, there won't be any need for these colorful adventures, at least not on THAT block.

Then it will be time to move to another block and just "check in" on this block periodically.

Furthermore, the block is turning around because of the "eco-village." My efforts, though colorful, are minor compared to the transportation which will be wrought by the eco-village, to the point my services won't always be needed on "the block."

I'm just trying to move the eco-village revitalization forward a little bit faster. I hope to inspire folks to adopt houses, to "secure their block." I'm trying to see what works and what doesn't work and tell those stories in a public and accessible way.

In regard to other issues the poster brought up about the city...I'm dealing with the right people, and beyond that I'm keeping it under my hat for now because it's, well, business.

I'm not worried about the city, because I'm trying hard to work with the city and do what the city wants. All the indications I'm getting is the city is glad for these kind of grassroots efforts, which the city has been trying to spur for quite some time with explicit requests to "adopt" vacant houses, etc.

Here I am. I've adopted a whole bushel of 'em. I've found out "adoption" needs to really focus on securing doors and windows, with stuff like litter and planting pansies as secondary considerations. I'm trying hard to make that feedback public, because I think it's important feedback to keep "tweaking" the public message about "adopting" houses.

ADOPTING A HOUSE MUST, BY NECESSITY, MEAN SECURING THE UNLOCKED FRONT DOORS AND BROKEN FIRST STORY WINDOWS, IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER.

As for me and my house...

Knocking my house down with a bulldozer would probably be doing me A HUGE FAVOR, so I wouldn't need to worry about THAT very much, either but, well...

The details will come out eventually, but I'm dealing with the folks I *should* deal with and trying to stay on the same sheet of music for the good of the neighborhood.