Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Northern Border Of Hawthorne

Ever since I was a little child, and I watched "Macon County Line" on television with my dad, I've been really conscious of borders. (Though it wasn't just the movie, but my father's explanation which fascinated me...it might be my decision to attend law school can find its genesis in that one conversation)

So when I cross Lowry, I'm conscious of the fact I'm no longer in the Hawthorne Neighborhood. These decorative brick markers reinforce the notion Lowry is significant. You'd think such nice markers would be on a nicer street. Well, I say, give it time...oh, and EFFORT.

Time isn't enough, by itself. When people say "give it time" they should say, instead, "Give it more time, and more effort." (Do not click "Read More.")

2 comments:

westwitch9 said...

Please tell me what your site is attempting to accomplish.

Johnny Northside said...

* Stories should be recorded and told. I've been doing it all my life in various places, since the time I was literate.

This is simply an assumption of civilization: we are better off recording and telling stories than NOT.

* Documenting emerging trends (for example, "board art," electricity theft. Documenting this stuff for others, and media entities, to pick up upon.

* Setting an example for others to follow. (Like replacing city boards which have been torn down by crack heads. The city said "adopt" the vacant houses but didn't give a lot of specifics. I'm trying to work out the specifics by, shall we say, application)

* Making public what I do, to create a larger zone of safety around myself so as to decrease my chances of being shot down like a dog for doing stuff like, for example, painting over graffiti.

Like that kid was in South Minneapolis, or so somebody said in a comment they submitted.

* Creating a fun, catchy forum for others to tell THEIR North Side stories.

Others are welcome to submit their own stories via the comments function, or even make arrangements to email their stories so I can make those stories into high-profile blog entries.

Send photos, too!

Or, heck, maybe this blog will encourage you to start your OWN blog.

Lastly...

* All other as needed. Like exposing irresponsible property owners like the people behind 416 30th Ave. N.

I hope that answers the question. It's a fair question, though even in a few words I somehow detect a critical tone.

Hmmmmmm.