Thursday, April 17, 2008

Not A Happy Little Store


Here is the Lowry Food Market. Despite the sign, it hasn't sold fresh meat since, well, if I had to take a guess I'd say the prosperous years under Bill Clinton. The guy who works behind the counter owns the building, and rents apartments above, too.

The first time I came in the store, and mentioned I was looking at real estate, he tried to sell me his building on the spot. People have been talking about "turning the neighborhood around" for more than a decade, he said. When is it actually going to happen? He wants to sell. He wants to take his money and get out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i was growing up that store was notorious for not having shit for groceries but any stolen goods or drugs you could imagine could be had if they new you, don't know if it was the same owner back then...

Johnny Northside said...

Oh, don't stop now...spill all the details!