Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Shawniqwa The Male Prostitute


(Back porch, 415 31st Ave. N.)

When I got off my bus last night, I noticed a slightly-built figure standing on the corner. I couldn't figure out if it was a female prostitute or a male drug dealer.

It was neither. It was Shawniqwa, The Male Prostitute. I can't tell if Shawniqwa is gay or transgendered, so I will say "he" with no disrespect intended if Shawniqwa prefers to be called "she."

I said, "Hello, what's your name?" Hiding his face deep inside the collar of a light blue winter jacket, with a blue kerchief covering his head, he said (in a high voice) "Shawniqwa."

I said, in a friendly tone, "I can't tell if you're a boy or a girl with your face covered up like that." He pulled his face up, smiling, with a big jewel in his nose and said, "I'm a boy, honey. Is that alright with you?" (Trying to smile invitingly)

"Well," I said, "I'm the block watch." (Nobody else is, so the role is vacant and I seize it out of pure necessity, so there)

"Oh," he said, his smile turning upside down.

"Yeah," I nodded, smiling. "You see this block?" (Pointing to Peter and Hope's Block) "That block is mine. The one behind it?" (Pointing further) "That is my block, too. And that corner over there?" (Pointing to the corner of Lyndale Ave. N. and 31st Ave. N, by the all-too-appropriately named Bangkok Market) "I also consider THAT CORNER to be mine, as well."

"Uh huh," he said, following this with interest.

"So if you're going to be out soliciting, please don't do it here."

"All right," he said, meekly, and walked away toward the intersection of Lyndale and Lowry. With the last bit of juice left in my cell phone, I called 911 and made a report about Shawniqwa.
(Do not click "READ MORE.")

And here is the rest of it. And I can put more pictures etc here too.

No comments: