Friday, April 25, 2008

Police Barricade Tape From Corn Starch Polymers? WHY NOT?

Photo by John Hoff

I do reserve the right to comment a little on non-North Side stuff, if the tangent is (at a minimum) loosely connected to one of my North Side topics.

The yellow lines in this picture are barricade tape, left over from the I-35W Bridge Disaster. (I was several blocks away when it happened, at Burger King...I did manage to write the very first published opinion column on the subject within six hours, laying blame at the feet of the Republicans) It was republished in a later print edition, here.

(It should be noted I had no idea the final death toll would be 13, and so the reference to "God's size 13 boot" is a little bit eerie)

Anyway, here's a good example of why police and fire department "barricade tape" should be made of corn starch polymer. This stuff will be there until doomsday unless somebody picks it up as litter.

(Do not click "Read More")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I'm glad you're doing this.

See that lone rail car on the right? That's one of the rail cars that was crushed by the falling bridge.

Johnny Northside said...

Totally. In fact, I have some much better pictures of the crushed rail cars which I've either put on Flickr.com already, or soon will.