Friday, April 25, 2008

Modern Civilization Is Made Of Glass (And So Is My New Front Door)


Did you ever notice 21st Century civilization is made of glass? I mean, think about it for a second. When you see...

...ultra-modern buildings, what are they made of? What are they full of?

Glass. Delicate, clear, beautiful glass.

I got a good deal on the door at ReStore, which sells salvaged building materials to raise money to build affordable housing. Fantastic deals there. They're located on Broadway.

When (fingers crossed) my house gets sold to the good, solid neighborhood activists at market value (exactly what the slumlord offered me, plus $1 more so I won't be discriminating) I hope the door and other useful components can be salvaged and donated to ReStore. Or maybe I'll work something out to put that door on my new house, hopefully located on the same block or very nearby.

Some kind of protective coating is on the door, and I just left it because if ever a glass door needed protection, it is this one. The door (besides being a good buy) is a leap of faith in the advancement of civilization on the North Side.

Thick wood? Solid steel? No.

GLASS.

I'm not just into putting boards UP to help the neighborhood. The one over my front door is the very first board I've managed to take DOWN. I talked to the building inspector and explained this was done so the building would be more secure. He was cool, SO COOL. The conversation took place while Jacob shot yet more video. Beyond the Minn Post story, he is thinking of some kind of film festival entry.

My handyman was paid after a cash withdrawal at Star Foods, as he waited in his white van where (the truth be told) he is living due to marital issues.

The clerk behind the counter (the one packing serious heat) looked at me balefully, suspicious of the cash transaction taking place in his parking lot, and why shouldn't he be? As I purchased the Star Tribune, I drew his attention to the story about the City of Minneapolis using the courts to gain control of the 140 or so T.J. Waconia houses.

Or did they?

This, I told the guy behind the counter, was very good news for North Minneapolis.

Civilization advances. Thomas Balko and Jon Helgason of T.J. Waconia get what's coming to fraudsters.

But lately my feelings about those two have...softened, just a bit. I'll blog about it, by and by. The movie "Juno" is showing tonight--FOR FREE--at Coffman Student Union, and I am ALL OVER THAT ONE.

2 comments:

Ranty said...

So... you won't be staying around then?

Johnny Northside said...

I'll stay around. I'm just looking to "trade up" property on the very same block, and work with the folks who have the resources to really improve things.

Stay around? I'm shooting at "staying around" for the rest of my life. Here. In this area. But I'm trying to get a much bigger, better place.

Though if the deal falls through I could find a way to work with this property. I'm a bookworm, after all, and I don't need a whole lot of space.