Monday, April 28, 2008

The "Adopt- A-House" Manifesto (Part One)


Flickr.com photo, "kitty helps with paperwork"

This photo looks like "Scott 'n' Scott's" cat, the one who became a star in the videos on Minn Post. Their cat (or its twin) seems to get out sometimes and hunt mice in the garbage at the "problem child of the block" house, 416 30th Ave. N.

This photo is called "Kitty helps with paperwork."

I thought it was a nice image to use in this post which summarizes my public policy suggestions scattered throughout the entries of this blog...

...which I recently sent by email to a public official who contacted me through this blog, referring to the block as my "jurisdiction." [Two later addendums: clearly, the word "jurisdiction" was meant to be sarcastic. Well, except I actually do think of it as my jurisdiction in that "the block" is so often left to fend for itself under "law of the jungle" conditions. During those times when nobody official is there to render aid, it is indeed my "jurisdiction" under the official "adopt a house" request/mandate, which clearly delegated "common sense action" to conscientious citizens where the city can't move quickly enough, or lacks resources.

Oh, secondly, "city official" is not as accurate as "an organization which deals with metropolitan issues, working CLOSELY with city officials.

There. I have clarified and corrected according to recent feedback. Johnny Northside strives for accuracy.

Now, to continue....]

I thought that was funny. And also an acknowledgment of the "Wild West" mentality taking root in certain devastated areas of the North Side.

Anyway, here is what I said to the public official who shall remain anonymous and could be, well, anybody. But I thought the "gathering of ideas" in that particular email was useful, so it's going right on the blog, baby.

Dear (Public Official Who Cares)

Thanks so much for contacting me through my blog. It is good to know some city officials find the blog interesting. There are certainly some serious public policy ideas and suggestions mixed in with telling the raw, colorful stories of "the block" in a way that captures the interest of readers.

I am cc'ing this to Kevin Gulden of [Project Pride In Living] as well as Peter and Jeff of [the] Hawthorne Neighborhood Association. They are the folks who have been working so long in this area. I am, quite literally, "Johnny come lately."

Or is it "Johnny blog lately?"

Whatever.

[...]

My main concerns seem to center on the disparity between the "adopt houses" message and the mean reality of the houses themselves. The city seems to imagine "adoption" as a lovely process of conscientious citizens picking up litter (careful to separate the recyclables) and planting flowers such as, for example, pansies.

HARD REALITY OF THE STREET is so many houses are wide open to trespass through the kicked-in front doors or smashed first story windows. Litter is the least of our problems. Physical security is the big issue.

Calling 311 helps but it takes a long time, and it's an expensive process for our city. [To board up houses]

Citizens need to be told it is GOOD CITIZENSHIP to put city boards back up which have been torn down, or (in other circumstances) to secure a house lacking any exterior contact information. This should be part of "adoption."

It should, further, be GOOD CITIZENSHIP to board second story windows open to birds and weather, which are usually not boarded due to budgetary priorities. (Understandable) This should be part of "adoption."

Exterior contact information of responsible parties should be MANDATORY for any and all vacant houses.

Phone books have become a distressing litter problem. It should be LITTERING to dump phone books on the doorsteps of houses with common sense indications of abandonment. [And vacancy]

Furthermore, the people who dropped this stuff off should be required to GO BACK AND CLEAN UP THEIR MESS.

The 911 response times are abysmal except, I must say, at three in the morning, when they are (in my experience) superb.

We need drug and prostitution sting operations. I see the worst problem on the North Side as the groups of unproductive young men who gather on the street corners, intimidating any and all who may come through the area to, for example, think about buying a house.

Police must stop telling us "do gooder types" not to move into the North Side, because it is "too dangerous." They sit in their squads with Colt AR-15s and act like they're in IRAQ. They should be physically walking around...or riding bikes...and checking the security of houses. If I can spot a wide open front door from the street, so can police.

I am, however, very sympathetic to the police. They may act as they do because they wear a target on their chest, while my chest says merely "University of Minnesota."

Frankly, I think Minneapolis should take the houses it owns on the North Side and GIVE THEM AWAY TO POLICE OFFICERS in some kind of lottery. If we don't have security, things will continue to decline.

Security, security, security must be the first priority or the influx of new residents will never come. [Slum lords will take over]

[I have suggested moving police resources from "party patrols" near U of M to cracking down on crime on the North Side in a column in the Minnesota Daily]

I am trying to build security.

"If I build security, they will come."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, It's me, Steffanie. I agree 100% about your belief that we need some officers out and about on our streets. If they were there, I bet many of our housebound neighbors would brave those streets themselves someday too.

And while the sting operations are out walking with their drug dogs past the corner boys a friendly hello to the rest of us out there would be encouraging too!