Monday, April 21, 2008

That's What I Call "Truth In Housing" At 416 30th Ave. N.


I was researching "416 30th Ave. N.," a.k.a. "the problem child of the block, and I came upon this photo with an old real estate listing.

Incredibly, it shows the illegal electrical tap from MY HOUSE which was running into the back door. In fact, it shows it much better than any of my photos. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL "TRUTH IN HOUSING."

I'm putting this photo up here. You know why? Because I have a claim on the juice running through that white line, and furthermore the photo is presented as "fair commentary and criticism."

If somebody in the real estate biz doesn't like that, tough. Please note this house has NO METER BOX in this photo, and yet was being advertised as "tenant occupied."

(Do not click "Read More")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate your blog dude, Our family lives just north of you in the Victory neighborhood and can relate to some of what you are going thru. Keep up the good work! Since I'm rather new to your blog, have you ever mentioned anything about how you would handle those "scavengers" that drive through your alley looking for stuff?? Later..

Johnny Northside said...

Well, it all depends on what kind of scavengers and what kind of stuff.

I love "true" scavengers, who pick up stuff tossed aside that belongs to nobody, but still has some value. I've done a WHOLE LOT of that myself, actually. Oh, I'm not going to get into that just at this moment.

But a scavenger whose vehicle bears copper pipe, aluminum siding, and now the NEW TREND...five foot lengths of electrical line! I'd probably keep an eye on them until they did something red-handed, and then use my increasingly-calloused thumb to dial 911.

Furthermore, even as evidenced in this discussion, some folks give "scavengers" a bad name.

And, yeah, there's a blog entry about a group of scrap metal thieves (that's what I'll call 'em) who I got busted. Or I THINK I got them busted, judging by the interaction I managed to observe with the police.

Hey, anonymous poster...if you've got stories from the victory neighborhood, find a suitable entry and add 'em.

We are not weak and we are not alone. The internet makes us powerful, and makes our struggle a highly-public matter.

Trafficguy said...

Thanks JN,
Thanks for the reply, don't have any real pressing issues right now up here in Victoryland. We live on a block that (get this) has only ONE rental unit on it! Weekends it gets loud, but not out of hand. Nothing compared with what YOU have to put up with.
As far as the scrap metal thieves, heh, I just see 'em a couple times over the course of a weekend, just enough for me to notice. During the week, I don't know...I'm at work. Just got an e-mail area wide alert from the city regarding a rash of recent garage break in's. Later..

Johnny Northside said...

Yeah, I found out THIS MORNING the garage in the house next to me was broken into, and they made off with two tool boxes. So believe the email alert, you know.

Hey...how do I get email alerts about crime trends on the North Side?