Thursday, April 17, 2008

Something Good Is Coming


This vacant lot is the future site of...

...retail space on the ground floor, and condos (that is the rumor, I hope it is true) on the floors above.

Bangkok Market can be seen behind the lot. This is across from the bus stop, in what I have dubbed the Corridor Of Safety, at the corner of Lowry and Lyndale. The owner of Bangkok Market says he has been waiting a long time to see anything, and has began to have his doubts whether it will really happen.

I can look at the dirt and see it has been surfaced, even since the spring melt. No, I say, something good is coming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A run down building almost identical to the store/apartments across the street used to occupy that corner. It came down with the first phase of the Lowry upgrade. Guys dealt drugs right out in the open there... once we actually had to wait at a green light while a passenger in the car in front of us made his transaction in the middle of the street. I was happy to see that building go. I will keep my fingers crossed the rumor you heard for development of that corner is true. Know all your hard work is appreciated!

Johnny Northside said...

If you have a picture, or links to article or whatever, tell me more about the building which used to be there.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had more documented information about the building that used to be there, most of the info is in my head, what I can remember. I used to live on Irving and 34th, drove past that corner everyday on my way to work for 3+ years. There was a market on the first floor, as well as an empty shop or two, and apartments above. A gang used to hang out (deal drugs) on either side of the street until one member was murdered in a house not far away. They erected a shrine to him in front of Lowry Food Market that was there for a week or so. Shortly after that, the police were able to shoo away the thugs and the activity on the corner quieted down. The non-Lowry Food Market building was acquired by the city (not sure if it was purchased or condemned) emptied, borded, then torn down for the Lowry project. If I find anything on it, I will be sure to pass it along!