Saturday, April 26, 2008

Officer, I'm Not Asking For Your Permission (Re-Re-Boarding 415 31st)

Photo by John Hoff

This happened several nights ago...I had almost forgotten it.

The boards were ripped down from "415 31st," which I had re-boarded. Since it had happened within a few hours, I figured...

...the trespassers might still be inside. But lately I've been realizing you have to "think like a crack head." Sometimes they break into buildings in stages, "ripping and dashing." They pry off a few boards, to see if anything happens in a day or two. If nothing happens, they are emboldened and start using the structure. I think.

I called the police, and they came out to check the property. The officers claimed to have gone inside to look for trespassers when I walked up carefully, hands in plain view. I have my doubts. Police officers don't live in this neighborhood (generally) and they are not willing to "buy a bullet" on the "expletive North Side" to check some old house full of crack head filth which they figure is just going to get bulldozed, anyway.

You stick your neck out for a neighborhood where you are VESTED. Not a neighborhood where you punch a time card and then go home to Apple Valley.

I told one of the officers--young and very pleasant--that I had personally secured this building, and I would like--right now--to nail the boards on again.

"Do you OWN it?" he asked.

"No, sir," I said. "But some of us are taking these things on ourself. Those are official city boards which have been ripped off. Clearly, the city wants boards on this thing. So if we put the boards back up, we're just doing what the city wants. I'd like to replace the board while you're standing here. Maybe you can watch my back a bit."

He said nothing. He contemplated this.

"Look, Officer," I said. "I'm not asking for your permission, your go-ahead on this. I'm saying what I intend to do. I intend to replace that board. If you tell me NOT TO DO IT, I certainly won't. But that's what I'd like to do. Those boards belong on that building."

He shrugged. Whatever. I nailed it in place while he stood by. And then I started telling him about the lawsuit with this particular house, and how a visionary "eco-village" was planned for this area--this big vacant lot right here--and that's why I had been lucky to "buy in."

Walking away, he said, "That sounds cool. I'd totally do the same thing. I'd buy some property around here and try to turn the place around."

"Sir--!" I said, almost running after him. "Give me your card. I'll put the Hawthorne Neighborhood Association in touch with you."

"Oh," he laughed. "I was saying what I'd do, myself. But I'm young and I've got a whole lot of guns. My wife would NEVER live here."

"I understand," I said. I wondered how many guns he had, what interesting firearms might be in his collection. How cool it would be to hang with that guy, I thought, and talk about marksmanship.

As he got in the squad car, I thought "except for the part about the wife, a police officer like him could be sold on buying into the bargains on the North Side and securing the block."

Just as notable was putting up my "volunteer boards" under the cooperative gaze of a police officer. No, he never gave me permission. Not in words, anyway.

Those boards are still on right now...though I saw where one of them had been pried, yesterday. I check it daily. Might want to put in a few more nails.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
I keep reading about the boarding and re-boarding, nailing and re-nailing of the houses.
It got me to thinking there has to be a better way.

I believe I have a solution.

Discontinue using nails. Instead, use 4-inch "Decking" screws. They are coated for outdoor use and one would have an easier time breaking the board into pieces before the screws could be pulled out.

Anticipating your answer, I am hereby calling on other residents, law enforcement and even the mighty members of the Minneapolis City Council... To donate to Johnny a large box of 4" Decking screws and a cordless-rechargeable drill.
If the donation does not come... You know how to contact me John. I will personally donate the tool and materials as I know the screws will outlast the nails.

Signed- The DFW Mentor AKA Texas Jim (to Northsiders)

Johnny Northside said...

Ah, Jim. And to think we started out spatting with each other bitterly in the comments section of "Behind The Mortgage Dot Com." And over the last few months, I dare say we've become like friends.

Jim, it's not about me having a drill versus nails, etc. It's about all the other folks who have hammers, drills, boards, nails, entire basement tool shops, WHATEVER securing their blocks, the "perimeters" of blocks facing their four sides, and their Corridors of Safety to bus stops on main thoroughfares.

Or, who knows? Ranging far into other blocks, for the pure fun of it! See "The House That (Almost) Made Me Barf." Now THAT was a good time.

One grad student slash creative writer in a rusty white Celebrity can't possibly secure the whole North Side. ONE BLOCK and the surrounding streets is hard enough.

But by documenting the truth of my experience...like the story above...it emboldens others to take similar action, knowing the city appears ready (at the very least) stand aside with tolerance to let us help ourselves in those areas where (due to lack of resources, and lack of political will, slowness natural to any even-handed governmental system) we have been largely left on our own.

Where and when are we left on our own?

1.) Between calling 911 and the time 911 arrives, and apparently sometimes it doesn't arrive at all. See the story of little Jane from just this morning, driving off crack heads all by herself.

2.) Between calling 311 and the time boards arrive to secure houses open to crack head habitation... five days. Eight days. Weeks. NEVER. Not if it's the second story.

3.) Between calling 311 and the time paint arrives to cover gang graffiti...three weeks, I heard once. Longer. Never.

4.) All the time when it comes to litter. This is the last priority, but outsiders driving through seem to notice it the most, which is why it gets mentioned in the pivotal "adopt the houses" article instead of--god grief--crack heads can walk right in the unsecured front doors to smoke their dope and turn their cheap tricks.

We are like aviators down behind enemy lines. In the jungles of Crack-A-Topia, if you will.

Yes, our government knows our location and cares about us. The government may even drop helpful supplies, provide a bit of air cover from time to time. But we are largely left on our own and must be brave, band together, make the best of it.

Really, who better than us to solve the problems that need to be solved when they are as close as a crazed crack head pounding on a random door, "Loan me five dollars!!!?"

As close as a prostitute strutting her stuff when the big yellow bus is going by with the little children?

Replacing city boards that have been torn down is BEING A GOOD CITIZEN.

Why wait? Why hesitate? We can't let the crack heads take up residence next to our very own houses or apartments, stealing our televisions and raping our children...not necessarily in that order.

Crack is NOT a Minnesota value. The city of Minneapolis cried out, "Adopt these houses." So take them at their word.

I'll accept your drill. But what is really needed is political will.

Anonymous said...

John... Oh, Sorry... Johhny,
(shaking head)

That was quite the "big picture" of a reply to my small comment of advice.

In case you or anyone else missed the meaning behind my suggestion to using screws rather than nails, here is the reason and benefit.

Nails can be pulled out and pried out with any number of objects.
You have pointed out how many openings have needed to be "re-boarded" and "re-nailed" after someone messed with them.

Using the 4" screws would make removing a board, very difficult without the assistance of a power drill.
In other words... Screw the boards into place and there will be no need to "re-secure" that board anytime soon.