Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Stuff You Find While Picking Up Litter On The North Side Photo Two

Photo by Johnny Northside

Besides booze, booze and yet more booze, one finds...

...CD's, including plenty of "boot leg" CD's with the titles written in Sharpie Marker. Somehow I find a sense of justice in some of the bootlegging. I mean, some musician records lyrics about how he's such a "gangsta," doesn't live by the rules, etc., and what happens?

Somebody bootlegs his CD and sells it for a buck or two in front of a strip mall.

Well, hey, he's a "gangsta," so what can he expect? People charging the stuff on the MasterCard at WalMart? I think not!

Note, also, latex glove of the kind used by the police during searches and, my personal favorite, a Baby Boomer Trivial Pursuit Card.

I find these cards LITTERING MY WHOLE BLOCK FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER. I'm always reaching down to pick up another piece of Trivial Pursuit litter. Sometimes I read the questions and quiz myself.

Q: What's Jughead's last name?

(Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?)

A: Jones.

OK, this one is easy.

Q: Who was the youngest of the Jackson Five?

A: Michael. Duh!

It's as simple as ABC, One Two Three!

One day I found the empty Baby Boomer Trivial Pursuit box in the leaf litter behind Phil Kleindl's garage (the one the crack heads stole the tool boxes from) while I was dragging pieces of brush from vacant houses to the brush pile by the future site of the eco-village, to clean up my block. And there it was.

Did my eyes deceive me? No! I found it. The card box. THE SOURCE!

I felt just like that character in "Queen of the Damned"who finally comes upon the Mother Of All Vampires. There it was. The foul coffin which spawned the little papery bats FLYING ALL OVER MY BLOCK.

Huh. OK, so why the heck was a box of Baby Boomer Trivial Pursuit Cards dumped behind Phil Kleindl's garage?

That one I'll probably never solve. But I've made some serious headway on the litter.

No comments: