Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Unlocked And Nobody's Taking Responsibility




This is 3018 4th Street North, which is on a street facing my block and therefore the "outer perimeter" of the area I'm trying to secure. It's unlocked. Anybody can just walk through the front door but, incredibly...

...it appears nobody does. There is stuff inside like new tiles waiting to be installed--or is that parquet wood flooring? I didn't look closely. It's just sitting around in the house, which is nice inside, very clean, a really good house.

But the front door is unlocked. It looks like somebody either forgot to lock it when they walked away, or the lock was cut in order to steal stuff inside. (Yeah, there's a few things left in there, but who knows what may have been in there before)

I have a little policy...I call property management companies, real estate agents, owners, etc. if their phone numbers are displayed on the property itself. (Honestly, I'm not going to get on the internet and try to look them up, especially since the ones I can reach easily aren't very helpful, either, so why knock myself out?)

With the city charging ridiculous boarding fees, I'm not out to help the city get rich if I can easily reach somebody responsible for the property. So I try. In this case, there was a lock box on the door with phone numbers. I called the numbers. Over and over, I left messages. Finally, I got in touch with somebody.

Not our house. Oh, yeah, the lock box has our number, and perhaps it belongs to (or once belonged to) "one of our vendors," but it's not our house, not our responsibility. Sorry.

So another call to 311. But in this case, I'm just going to buy a padlock, lock the door myself, and leave a note. I'll call 311 and let them know I won the race to secure the property.

AGAIN.

Really, I wish they'd try harder to win the race. I'm a disabled vet with a gimpy let. It's not like I can move that fast.

No comments: