Sunday, April 6, 2008

Councilman Samuels Responds To Johnny Northside


In an email dated March 28, 2008, 7:19 PM, Minneapolis City Councilman Don Samuels responded to my blog critique of his article in the Spokesman, about the need to create a "conspiracy" for black prosperity on the North Side.

Samuels said, "Thanks for reading the article. I appreciate your cynicism. It is only natural considering the many dreams and promises; including Martin Luther King's, the Constitution and the bible itself that seem yet undelivered.

"But those working their butts off to create substantive change earn the right to continue dreaming. It keeps us going. We have to be going somewhere and that apparently unattainable destination is where I am headed.

"Welcome aboard."


My response: I hardly think the Spokesman article in question and the ideas it contains is in any way comparable to Martin Luther King, the Constitution or the Bible. (Which I prefer to capitalize)

But I have always been gratified by one aspect of the North Side: even if some people on the North Side don't like some aspect of my commentary, they don't say, "Stay away from the North Side." Instead, they say, in effect, "Come to the North Side and work your butt off. Welcome." And Samuels is a perfect example of that welcoming attitude.

I should say there is one exception, namely "Heather From Over North" who anonymously comments on my Minnesota Daily columns with angry bile, sort of like a stalker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Welcome to the north side.
I must admit that your mere presence is most appreciated- finally to have a forum where the folk on the north side may actually 'get involved'- this is an answered prayer.
As for DS- that is another story for another day.
WELCOME ABOARD!


J. Harris
Near North neighborhood