Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"The Blue Tarp House" Is Going Down



Photo By John Hoff

The notorious eyesore of 2957 Lyndale Ave. N., "the Blue Tarp House," is going down. Just the other day I noticed...

A workman with a portable generator and a sawing tool, who appeared to be cutting out salvageable components such as fixtures. I went to the front steps to make sure he was working for the actual owners, not freelancing on his own behalf. That's when I saw the pink demolition order on the front door. Huh. Cool official paper, and in a new color. This makes my day.

There was one workman, a Latino male who spoke passable English. I told him the neighborhood association took a great interest in what happened with properties, and wanted to make sure everything was in order. He shrugged. Whatever. He was being pretty tight-lipped. I told him in Spanish if we thought there criminal behavior was happening, we really had no problem calling police.

So he told me the city inspector had been by just a short while before and approved everything. All was in order, he said. There was a permit. The owner would be coming by shortly. That was when I noticed the guy actually had breathing protection and a hazardous materials suit. Wow, Latino workmen being given protection equipment at a North Minneapolis job site! I can't remember the last time I saw that.

"Yo creo, yo creo," I said. (I believe you) I wished him good luck with the job.

A moment before this conversation, I noticed how the sun was shimmering through the ragged edge of the tarp, the way a ghost ship must glow eerily before it disappears beneath the frothy waves...FOREVER.

No comments: