Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"We Need To Get That Building Down ASAP"

Photo By John Hoff

A contact who works in close conjunction with the City of Minneapolis sent me an email and explained why it is some vacant buildings--like 3119 4th Street North--fill with sewer gas. I never knew this. I'm a geek for finding his explanation so fascinating.

But here's the reason:

"When houses/buildings sit vacant, the water in the traps evaporates and allows sewer gas to enter the building."

Huh. I did not know that.

My contact added: "We need to get that building down ASAP." Of course, that's not the ONLY reason to tear it down. Missing copper, full of mold, generally decrepit, nasty and unloved...yeah, and we just recently found out it's full of ASBESTOS. The fun never ends in the Eco Village.

(The photo above is from a burned-out bar in Graceville, Minnesota. I believe the "geisha girl" wallpaper was part of the remains of the woman's bathroom)

(Do not click "Read More")

2 comments:

Ranty said...

I'm confused. Does the building need to come down because of sewer gas?

If so, that's the first I've heard of THAT...

Johnny Northside said...

No, that's not the only reason. I added more text to make more of the reasons clear. I'm also going to put a link to some background. Thanks for the feedback and the "heads up."