Saturday, September 20, 2008

Harvard Market East (They Was Robbed)

Photo By John Hoff, September 3

So right in the middle of all this RNC 2008 stuff, one of my favorite stores got robbed. I was just about to buy a can of Full Throttle Energy Drink (the manufacturers of the beverage can feel free to send me a free case of their product for mentioning it on my blog) but the door was locked and police were inside...

A reporter from the Minnesota Daily covered the robbery in this article, but while I was hanging around there I picked up a few more details.

1.) It was an older guy, not a young hoodlum.

2.) The robber only got a couple hundred bucks, since employees at the store are trained to "drop" excess money into the inaccessible safe.

3.) It has nothing to do with the robbery, but the owner is thinking of closing and opening up in a different location. GOOD GRIEF!!!! We only have this one grocery store in Stadium Village since the OTHER Harvard Market closed. (Click here for article) What are students supposed to do?

It's All A Conspiracy

Oh, wait, I have an idea...let's just have the students live on restaurant specials instead of frugally preparing their own meals from groceries. I swear, it's almost like somebody is PLANNING this, kind of like the way the movie theater at Mall of America just HAPPENED to be closed for renovations during RNC 2008.

Yes, that works out nicely. Instead of watching a movie for the few hours they are in the Mall of America, the richy rich Republican delegates can just shop, shop, shop.

Heavy sigh. I still love this little store. In fact, instead of buying one energy drink, I bought two because I knew they'd lost money during the robbery...not to mention sales lost while the store was locked down...and I wanted to support the store. But I have to wonder when the day will come the store won't be there for me.

2 comments:

Brian Reichow said...

Harvard Market East is closing no matter what happens because the building is being demolished and the site redeveloped into more on-campus housing and a CVS Pharmacy. The demolition of the Oak Street Cinema and the restaurant adjacent to it is part of this. The only establishments that will be left standing are Chipotle and Manhattan Loft Pizza.

The restaurant next door (Campus Pizza) is owned by my friend's family, and they're working on building out a new location across the street. I haven't heard anything from Brad, the owner of Harvard Market East, about relocating.

I'm pretty sure the whole block will be vacant by November, based on what I know.

Johnny Northside said...

In the short time I have known you, you've been an amazing source of valuable info. Thanks.