Monday, September 15, 2008

Pointing The Way To A Greener Tomorrow

Photo By John Hoff

I was sitting and waiting for Peter Teachout outside his house, and I was looking at toward tree in the middle of the Eco-Village project when I realized...

...the tree seems to be POINTING somewhere. And I thought, well, where is it pointing? What is it pointing at?

South, I realized. The tree is pointing south.

And right away it struck me: what is the GREENEST direction? Certainly SOUTH is the greenest direction compared to North, East and West. North is undoubtedly the coldest, least green direction. But in the United States, we usually associate moving south with moving toward warmth, toward the tropics, toward ALL THINGS GREEN.

The "eco-tree" points the way. It stands in the middle of the eco-village, and it points in the greenest direction.

No comments: